Yealink T5 Series: User Guide
This article assists you with your Yealink T57, T54, or T53 devices.
Because Yealink VoIP phones have customizable configurations, your softkey layout may differ from what's seen and described below.
Phone Models and Button Layouts
Handset: Lift the handset and press dial pad buttons to place a call, listen to voice mail messages, answer a call, and perform other phone functions.
Dialing Pad: Press the dial pad buttons to dial a phone number or enter alphabetical characters.
LCD Screen: The IP Phone “desktop” that displays the time, date, your phone extension, caller ID, line/call status, speed dials and the softkey tabs.
Line or Speed Dial: Used to open a new line, speed dials what is displayed, and can Park a call.
Softkeys: Softkeys’ functions change depending on the status of the phone (for example, when you are on a call or the phone is not in use). The softkey function is shown at the bottom of the LCD screen.
Navigation Cluster: The cluster lets you move up, down, left and right to different options on the screen. It allows you to access options with the OK button and cancel out with the X button.
Volume Button: Increases or decreases the volume for the currently active voice receiver: handset, headset or speakerphone. The volume button also controls the ringer volume (if on-hook).
MESSAGE: Press to hear your current voicemail messages.
- Note: your system administrator may opt to have your voicemail messages sent in the form of emails making this button nonfunctional.
HEADSET: Activate in order to use a headset. You will not be able to hear or speak through your headset until this button is selected and illuminated.
CONF (Conference): Begin a conference call that allows multiple people to have a conversation simultaneously from the same or different locations.
HOLD: Places the current caller on hold on this phone. To take the caller off hold, simply press the HOLD button again.
MUTE: Mutes the microphone while on a call. Press again to re-enable your microphone and resume your call.
TRAN (Transfer): Allows you to transfer a call that you’ve placed on hold to another line or extension within your organization.
RD (Re-Dial): Automatically dials and calls the last number dialed.
Speakerphone: Allows you to have a conversation handsfree over the speakerphone. Press button again to end the call or lift the handset to change from speakerphone to using handset.
Setting Up WiFi
Make sure you have a W, U, or S model phone. If your phone is a G or standard model, it will not have wifi built-in and require the use of a WiFi dongle (sold separately) as well as specific configuration programming.
- Press the Menu key or Icon
- Navigate to Settings
- Select the WiFi option
- Turn WiFi on
- You will search for your wireless network name
- Select your network and enter your password
- Your phone will confirm once online by showing a green network status
- Place a test call to ensure connectivity
Using Your Phone
Placing a Call
You can place a call with the Yealink T5 Series Desktop IP Phones in any of the following ways:
- Lift the handset from the base and enter the phone number using the dial pad, then press the Send
- Enter the number using the dial pad, then press the Send softkey to talk on Speakerphone or pick up the handset at any time.
- Press the RD (redial) button for a list of recent calls, select the number you wish to dial using your Navigation buttons, then press Send
- If using a headset, press the HEADSET button, dial the desired telephone number, then press the Send
- To dial an internal extension, dial the extension then press Send. (Ex. 1001 > Send)
- To dial a local call, dial the seven-digit number.
- To dial long distance, dial the ten-digit number (+1 is not necessary with our VoIP system).
- International dialing has been blocked by default.
Answering a Call
You can answer a call using the handset, speakerphone or a headset.
- Pick up and speak into the handset while the phone is ringing.
- Press the Answer soft key.
- To use the speakerphone, press the button to activate.
- To use a headset, press the HEADSET button.
To answer a second call while on a call:
- Press the Answer soft key. The original caller will be placed on Hold
To return to the original caller, there are two options:
- Press the Swap The current call will be placed on Hold automatically.
- Press the LINE DISPLAY button for the call on hold. This will pick up the line and place the other call on hold automatically.
Ending a Call
To end a call, there are multiple options:
- Press the End Call soft key, or
- If using the headset, pick up the handset and replace it on the switch hook.
- If using the speakerphone, press the
- If using a headset, press the End Call
Muting a Call
While on a call, you can mute the handset, headset, or speakerphone to prevent the party you are speaking with from hearing what you or someone else in the room is saying.
- To mute a call, press the MUTE button
- To disengage mute, press the MUTE button again.
Placing a Call on Hold
While on a call, you can place the call on hold, so that the caller cannot hear you and you cannot hear the caller. You can answer other calls while a call is on hold.
- To place a call on hold, press the Hold soft key
- To return to the call, press the Resume
- If multiple calls are on hold, use the navigation keys to scroll between the lines and select the desired call before you press the Resume Alternatively, if multiple calls on multiple lines are on hold, press the line button for the line to which you want to resume.
- If only two calls are on hold, you can go between the calls with the Swap By pressing Swap, the current call will be put on hold automatically and you will resume the call on the other line. The Swap is not available when there are more than two lines being used.
Placing a Call in Park
Call Park allows you to park a call (place on hold on the cloud) and then pick up the call from any phone.
- To park a call, press the Park Line soft key.
- The Park button will start flashing red indicating a call is parked.
- To retrieve the parked call, press the Park Line soft key.
If your phone isn’t equipped with a call park soft key, you can use the star method.
- To park a call that you are on, press TRAN (Transfer) + *3. The system will then tell you what parking space the call will be placed into. For example, it may say “Call placed in parking spot 101.”
- Press TRAN again to put the call into that parking space.
- To retrieve this call, you simply dial *3 + (Parking Spot Number), then OK.
Transferring a Call
While on a call, you can send it to any extension in your organization or to an external number.
- To transfer a call to an internal line, press one of the line keys labeled on your LCD Screen. The call will be a “cold” transfer, which means you cannot introduce the caller and it is immediately sent and off your phone.
- To transfer to an external number or extension, press the TRAN key, then dial in the number. You have the option of “warm” transferring and announcing the caller to the transferred party. When you are ready to transfer the call, press TRAN once again to drop off the line and connect the two parties.
Send a Call Directly to Voicemail
- If you need to send a call directly to voicemail, press TRAN (Transfer) ** + (Extension Number) + TRAN. For example, to transfer directly to a co-workers voicemail at extension 102 dial TRAN ** 102 TRAN
NOTE: Do not attempt to transfer someone to your own voicemail box. Doing so would put the caller into a menu system to retrieve your voicemails.
Conferencing a Call
While on a call, you can add an additional party to make a conference call.
- During a call, press the CONF This opens a new line and places the other party to whom you were speaking on HOLD.
- Once the new line is open, you can press an Extension soft key to conference another internal line. You can also call an extension or external number to bridge into the conference.
- To conference an extension or external number, press the CONF key, dial in the extension or external number.
- The second open line will call the extension or external number and you can speak with the new party.
- When ready to bring the original caller to the conference, press the CONF key once again to be connected to all parties.
Ending a Conference
You can cancel a conference call by pressing the Split The original call will be put back to a line as will the dialed-out call (or conferenced number). You can reinitiate the conference again by using the CONF key again.
- You can also remove the original caller from the Conference by pressing Manage softkey and then the Remove soft key. This will allow you to continue a conversation with the Conferenced dialed party.
Managing Multiple Calls
While you are on an existing call, you might hear a call waiting tone and see another call coming through to your phone.
- To accept that call, you can press the Answer soft key. This will put your first call on hold and pick up your new call.
- In the upper right-hand corner, you should see 2/2 indicating that there are two calls on hold and you are on the second of those two calls.
- If another call comes through, you can press Answer again and the indicator would read 3/3 indicating there that are three calls on hold and you are on the third call of those calls.
- To resume your previous calls, use the up/down arrow on the directional pad of the phone and press Resume soft key.
When you intercom another user, their phone will automatically pick up your call and put you onto speakerphone. This will allow you to talk to another user without the need for them to pick up and accept the call on their phone.
- To intercom another user, simply press *0 + (Extension Number) + SEND. For example, if bob is at extension 105, you can intercom him by pressing *0 105 SEND.
Voicemail Menu & Settings
From the phone:
- Dial *98 to reach the voicemail system.
- Enter your Mailbox # (Default # is 100).
- Follow menu prompts (Option 5 to change settings).
From an outside phone:
- Dial the main telephone number for the location. When the voicemail system picks up the call enter * to reach the voicemail system.
- Enter your PIN # (Default PIN is 1234).
- Follow menu prompts (Option 5 to change settings).
Receiving a Voicemail
From the phone:
- The LED on the upper right-hand corner of the phone will flash red and a voicemail icon will appear on the screen when a voicemail has been received.
- Press the softkey for Voicemail.
- Enter your PIN # if prompted.
- Follow menu prompts to erase or keep message.
- Messages will automatically be sent to your designated email address where you can listen to an mp3 of the voicemail recording.
- You can keep or delete the email message containing the voicemail is you wish.
Recording Your Auto Attendant From Your Phone
From the phone:
- Dial your telephone number to reach the auto attendant.
- You will be notified there is no recording and prompted to enter a PIN (Default is 1234)
- Record your menu greeting per your requested options.
- Follow menu prompts to save, re-record or delete.
Note: If you have already saved a menu recording, you will need to contact support at 855-899-8647 to have the recording deleted so that you can follow the above instructions to re-record your menu greeting.
Help on Your Phone
We’ve made these helpful hints and others available from your phone’s screen.
- Simply press the HELP soft key labeled on the lower right-hand corner of your screen.
- Follow the prompts for help topics.
Note: Some of these features are still under construction or may be limited by your administrator. For a complete list of resources or help, please visit or call us at the links below.