Polycom: Factory Reset Polycom Devices
A factory reset is a "last resort" in your troubleshooting; it is a master reset to restore the device to its original system state by erasing all of the information stored on the device in an attempt to restore the device's software to its original manufacturer settings.
WARNING: A factory reset will delete all user saved information, such as contacts in Phonebook. Please do NOT factory reset your device unless expressly asked to by a support engineer.
How to Factory Reset a Polycom
The Easy Way:
- On the phone, press the Menu key.
- Select the Settings option.
- Select the Advanced option.
- Enter the password 456 and press the Enter softkey. (If this password doesn't work, scroll down to "The Hard Way")
- Select Admin Settings.
- Select Restore to Defaults.
- Select Reset to Factory.
Reset Phone to Factory Defaults Through the Phone's Web GUI
The device web interface (GUI) allows you to make changes to the phone's settings via a web browser on your computer, which can often be more convenient than on the phone screen itself. You must ensure that:
- The phone is plugged into the network
- The computer is on the same network as the phone
- In a web browser on a computer on the same network as the phone, browse to the phone's IP address (https://<IP address of phone).
- Log in as Admin and enter the phone's MAC password. NOTE: if your phone has previously been connected to the SimpleVoIP network, contact support for the password.
- Navigate to Utilities > Phone Backup & Restore.
- Click the small + to open the Global Settings options.
- Click Restore to reset the phone to factory default settings.
- Wait for phone to reboot.
- Note: After the phone has been reset to factory default settings, the administrator password will have changed to 456.
The Hard Way:
Attempt to Force Reboot the device.
- To Reboot the Phone—Press and hold the dial pad keys 0, 1, and 3 simultaneously for about three seconds, or until you hear a confirmation tone. Retest, and if function is still not there, proceed to the next step
- Turn off the device.
- On the “Loading Application” screen, press “Cancel.”
- As soon as the “Welcome” message appears, press and hold down “1,” “3,” “5.” (for any confernce device, as in the 4000, 5000, or 6000, use keys "6", "8", "*" instead of “1,” “3,” “5.”)
- Release them only when seeing the “Enter Password” message appear.
- For the password, use the phone’s MAC address (using CAPS for letters) and press “OK.”
- After the restart, your phone will be successfully reset (with the default password “4, 5, 6”)
After it's been factory reset, you need to tell the phone to find it's configuration on the SimpleVoIP network. Note: this requires the MAC address has already been configured by your SimpleVoIP technician.
Provision Phone to point to SimpleVoIP (on phone)
- Power cycle the phone.
- Quickly press the Setup/Settings softkey as soon as it appears.
- Enter password 456.
- Select Provisioning Server (Server Menu on old firmware).
- Change Server Type to HTTPS.
- Change Server Address to the correct address for your phone (depending on firmware version):
- Exit Server Menu.
- Select the SNTP Address.
- Enter: pool.ntp.org.
- Select Exit, then select Save & Reboot.
- Allow several minutes for the phone to reboot and connect to the SimpleVoIP servers.
Manually Provision Phone to point to SimpleVoIP (Web GUI)
- In a web browser on a computer on the same network as the phone, browse to the phone's IP address.
- Log in as admin and enter the password 456.
- Navigate to Settings > Provisioning Server.
- From the Server Type drop-down, select HTTPS.
- In the Server Address field, enter the SimpleVoIP Polycom Provisioning Server address: config.simplevoip.us/
- Click Save.
- Navigate to Preferences.
- Click Date and time > SNTP Server
- Select the pool.ntp.org address from the dropdown menu.
- Click Save.
- Allow several minutes for the phone to reboot and connect to the SimpleVoIP servers. When rebooting is complete, your phone should be ready to use.
If you experience further issues, please contact support.