Thanks for requesting info on our POTS replacement service! Our service was specifically designed for lifeline services (fire, alarm, elevator, pool, FirstNet) as well as other modem-based applications (credit cards, ATM, utility meters, fax, vending machines, safes) and also supports normal analog phone service for those not ready to make the move to VoIP.
We're in the final countdown of carrier support for copper based service, so now is the time to make a move. Forklifting your legacy analog equipment or trying to convert it to cellular can be costly. This service simply replaces your existing POTS lines from the phone company with a product that operates the same way but will be immune from carrier disconnections and price increases.
Video of an installation at a health club:
Here's how it works:
We install a small box that plugs into your existing data network and has either 2 or 8 analog line outputs (RJ11). We configure each line for the type of equipment we're connecting to (fax, alarm, fire, etc) and then move the existing cables from those machines to plug into this box instead of the phone company's copper pairs. Once connected, we make some test calls or trigger an alarm and then we're good to go!
- 12 hour internal battery backup (upgradeable to 24 hour)
- ISP redundancy (WAN + 4G) built in
- Fully managed and monitored by SimpleVoIP
- Onsite installation
- Port your existing numbers or we can provide new ones (we handle the porting)
- Fully certified for all types of lifeline applications
Click to watch these overview videos:
Check out these documents for some in-depth information:
- 2 Lines: CDS-9010 Data Sheet and Certifications
- 8 Lines: CDS-9090 Data Sheet and Certifications
- White Paper: Fire Alarm Communications - Regulations Information
- White Paper: Elevator Communications Requirements
- Alarm/Fire Lines Supported Equipment List
The requirements vary based on the type of devices connected to the PIAB hardware. If you plan on connecting to an alarm panel, you must verify compatibility by finding your panel on this document and provide the model number to SimpleVoIP when ordering. Sometimes we can connect to panels not on this list, however there is no guarantee it will work.
Requirements for Installation
- Network must be configured to allow traffic to our servers (different from VoIP) – please read this article
- Hardware must be mounted in a location with power and internet connectivity via cat5 cable
- Hardware must be mounted in a location with adequate cellular signal (Verizon)
- If devices are to be connected to the unit that are not in the same room, copper pairs must be extended or punched down from the device
We require a site survey for each location to determine the optimal installation location, cabling/punch down needs and alarm panel compatibility. Customer is welcome to provide the information on our Site Survey form instead.
SimpleVoIP will install the device based on the location identified on the site survey or provided by the customer. Installation may take longer based on the amount of lines ordered, cabling needs and time needed to work with your alarm company.
Alarm panels require additional time to install and test and require that we coordinate the installation with your alarm monitoring company. We will assign a new phone number, connect it to your alarm panel and work with your alarm company to put the panel in test mode and trigger a test alarm, as well as verify the alarm can call in to your monitoring company and they can dial in and control your panel after migration. This also requires coordination with your security team or whoever is authorized to work with the alarm company. Allow extra time for alarm panel testing.